The Horizon Foundation and United Way of Central Maryland want to hear innovative ideas to make Howard County better — and we invite YOU to pitch yours! No idea is too big or too small. Whether your idea could impact public health, the environment, social justice, economic opportunity, children, teens or older adults…the issues are real and the possibilities to effect lasting social change are endless!
How Does the Changemaker Challenge Work?
- Those who want an opportunity to participate in the Changemaker Challenge must submit their big idea by September 8, 2017 at changemakerchallengehc.org.
- If their big idea is chosen to participate in the Changemaker Challenge, they will be notified by September 15, 2017 that they are a finalist.
- Finalists will then pitch their big ideas to a live audience and a panel of judges on October 30, 2017 at the Kossiakoff Center.
- Three winners will receive $10,000 in seed funding and project consultation to help bring their ideas to life.
Who Can Pitch a Big Idea? Can I Submit a Pitch for a New Business?
- Maryland residents 18 years of age or older, teams and nonprofits are invited to pitch their big idea to impact Howard County.
- For-profit entities are not eligible to participate.
What Kind of Big Ideas Are You Looking For?
- Big ideas can focus on any social issue affecting Howard County.
- No idea is too big or too small – we are looking for creative, passionate ideas that will make a positive difference in our community.
- Ideas will be evaluated on three criteria: innovation, impact and implementation.
- All ideas must impact Howard County.
What Do You Mean by Social Innovation?
- Social innovation is a novel solution to a social problem that is more effective, efficient, sustainable, or just than current solutions. The value created accrues primarily to the community rather than to private individuals.
Submit your big idea by September 8, 2017 and you could be invited to share it at the Changemaker Challenge on October 30, 2017. Pitch your big idea, learn more, and see Official Rules at www.changemakerchallengehc.org.