Families Living United
United Way of Central Maryland’s Families Living United group, founded by 20-year UWCM advocate and mom, Molly Shattuck, brings together parents, kids and other family members to jointly participate in hands-on volunteer projects.
Today, families are finding new ways to spend time together — and volunteering is one way to do just that. There are many benefits for families that volunteer. Research has shown that volunteering as a family:
- Helps families learn about social issues
- Provides positive role models and passes on family values to children
- Provides new learning experiences and development of new skills for both children and adults
- Provides quality time for the family to spend together
There are a variety of issues for your family to consider before making the commitment to volunteer together.
- Your family may want to start slowly. Consider a one-time or short-term volunteer activity before making a long-term commitment.
- Consider doing your volunteer activity with other family groups (PTAs, religious organizations, neighbors or workplace groups) - or with UWCM's Families Living United group!
- Consider everyone's busy schedule when volunteering as a family. You may decide to volunteer individually at different times.
- If volunteering with children, ask about any issues related to their needs or safety concerns.
During and after the volunteer project:
- Talk openly about your experiences on the drive home, during meals or whenever your family has time together. Both adults and children will benefit from the opportunity to discuss everyone's reactions to the volunteer activities.
- Let your volunteer coordinator know if your family has any special concerns or problems, and discuss how you can work together for a satisfactory solution. Share your positive experiences, too!
- Keep a journal with photos and stories of your family's volunteer activities. Share the journal with relatives, co-workers and friends.
- Have fun! It is not only allowed, but it should be a requirement!
See photos from our events on our facebook page.
Families Living United is generously sponsored by OneMain Financial and Molly Shattuck Vibrant Living