GIVE TO UNITED WAY
Your gift keeps Marylanders in homes, helps kids in school, and provides access to healthy food and jobs that pay the bills.
Overview of Position:
The United Way Neighborhood Zone at Columbia seeks to build and strengthen the communities of Howard County by utilizing a community informed approach. This strategy includes providing wraparound services to students, families and community residents to support their educational and economic goals. Integral to this strategy is the United Way Family Center at Columbia that will provide early childhood education as well as socio-emotional supports to infants and toddlers and their parents. This is a new Center with a capacity of 76 children ages 8 weeks through 4 years old.
In accordance with the needs of the ages of the population, the Administrative Account Specialist performs general administrative duties in support of the operational activities of the Family Center, including maintaining accurate records, processing accounts payable and receivable, and assisting with management of the enrollment waitlist, completing tasks as assigned by the Family Center Director.
This position is a full-time, non-exempt 12-month position, supervised by the Family Center Director.
Critical features of this position are described under the headings below but are subject to change at the discretion of management. This job description reflects the designation of essential job functions but does not provide an all-inclusive list of duties that may be assigned.
Administrative Account Specialist Responsibilities:
- Documents and processes accounts payable and accounts receivable in a timely manner.
- Maintains accurate records and logs in a timely and organized fashion.
- Assists with management of the Family Center waitlist.
- Develops familiarity and maintains compliance with all applicable legal requirements including OCC, Confidentiality, etc. as shared by FC Director.
- Treats all children, families, and staff with dignity and respect, allowing for individual differences. Establishes positive relationships with each child, family member, and coworker.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Remains calm in challenging situations.
- Assists with tracking and submitting childcare scholarships to MSDE and maintains documentation and communication with UWCM finance team and FC management staff.
- Provides day-to-day administrative support for management and staff as required; assists with handling incoming calls; answers routine inquiries, tracks, forwards, and/or takes messages as appropriate.
- Supports child intake and withdrawal processes and paperwork, including child files.
- Maintains awareness of all special health and dietary needs of children.
- Works with the Assistant Director to support the general upkeep and maintenance of indoor and outdoor environments and supplies.
- Assists with supply orders. Monitors usage and inventory levels of supplies and materials and maintains organization throughout the Center.
- Communicates effectively and professionally both orally and in writing.
- Prepares, reviews, and edits sensitive and confidential reports, memorandum, and correspondence.
- Helps maintain a safe and healthy work environment; utilizes universal precautions and brings to Director’s attention any relevant information or issues concerning or related to staff, children, and/or families. Monitors and responds appropriately to illness, injury, and other emergency situations.
- Seeks and attends ongoing professional development and demonstrates an attitude of continual growth.
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
Education and Experience Requirements:
High school diploma or GED required; additional coursework in business, administrative courses, accounting/bookkeeping, etc. preferred
- Proficient in MS Office
- Experience in office administration preferred.
- Experience working with young children and their families in an early childhood setting preferred.
- Ability to organize and maintain file and inventory systems.
- Ability to provide administrative support and establish and maintain administrative processes.
- Ability to enter, manage, and reconcile data, ensuring data protection and confidentiality.
- Ability to process accounts.
- Knowledge of resource management principles.
- Ability to conduct research and prepare documentation and reports.
- Knowledge of allergies and dietary restrictions.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with tact, as well as the ability to exercise judgement and discretion.
- Ability to analyze problems and recommend appropriate solutions/changes.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external customers.
- Knowledge of and ability to use various automated systems, such as Microsoft Office tools, computers, mobile devices, phone systems, etc.
- Lift and/or move 35 pounds or more regularly.
- Stand, bend, stoop, squat, kneel, crouch, lift, twist, and grasp.
- Able to crouch or stand for extended periods of time.
- Possess hearing and visual capabilities necessary to monitor the environment and children’s wellbeing and promptly respond to emergency situations.
- Participate in training to obtain/maintain awareness of and ensure adherence to all safety policies, procedures, and processes to include but not limited to allergies, other dietary restrictions, health conditions, and emergency response protocols.
- Ability to acquire and maintain the following certifications within 30 days of hire date: Infant/Child/Adult CPR Certification and First Aid Certification.
- Ability to successfully complete a physical exam and tuberculosis test (at the incumbent’s expense) prior to employment and annually thereafter (current documentation may not be older than 12 months).
- Continued employment is contingent upon satisfactorily completing a criminal history records check (or other applicable security clearance) and pre-employment drug-test (pre-identified position only).
BECOME A PART OF SOMETHING BIGGER
Get the latest info on how you can join us to improve the lives of our neighbors —and the neighborhoods they call home.
What Browser Am I Using?
You are currently using…
This browser will no longer be supported by Microsoft.
Try a different browser
We support any of these free, and easy to install, browsers.