GIVE TO UNITED WAY
Your gift keeps Marylanders in homes, helps kids in school, and provides access to healthy food and jobs that pay the bills.
Associate Vice President, 211 Maryland United Way Helpline
POSITION SUMMARY STATEMENT
United Way of Central Maryland (UWCM) promotes equity, creates opportunity, and improves lives. Our 95 years of service to the people of Greater Baltimore have taught us what it takes to change our region for the better. We are proud to be a source of support, compassion, and hope for people who work hard but still can’t make ends meet. We strengthen families and communities by taking on systemic challenges and increasing access to basic needs- health, housing, employment, education, and more.
2-1-1 Maryland United Way Helpline is a readily accessible, 24/7, helpline providing information and referral (I&R) services in over 150 languages. It offers individuals an effective means of navigating the complex health and human service delivery system to find resources such as access to food, housing, and other government assistance, that support health and social determinants of health outcomes, for low-income individuals and families. Certified I&R Specialists assess callers' needs and link them to solutions using a comprehensive database of over 5,000 government & nonprofit programs.
United Way of Central Maryland is seeking an experienced human services program manager with strong program development, strategic thinking and change management skills to oversee operations of 211 Maryland United Way Helpline while working with leadership staff to advance the evolution of 211’s service delivery.
The Associate Vice President for 211 Maryland United Way Helpline will:
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the 211 Helpline: collect and analyze data to monitor ongoing performance, maintain policies, procedures, and accreditation standards; fulfill grant contract obligations; and assist in the hiring, supervision, training and evaluation of paid and volunteer positions for 211.
- Lead efforts to advance the evolution of 211: evaluate the effectiveness of 211 and develop strategies to improve service deliver and social impact through the integration of innovative technical solutions and partnerships.
- Support ongoing financial sustainability of 211: create a business/sustainability plan that maximizes use of resources and identifies long-term public and/or private funding sources and support ongoing fundraising efforts.
- Conduct and coordinate outreach to further educate lawmakers, public agencies, health and human service providers, nonprofits, and the general public about 211.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coach and evaluate 211 staff including: Resource Database Administrator, 211 Operations Director, 211 Assistant Director, 211 Associate, MAP Community Resource Specialists, and others as assigned. Monitor call handling, review caller records, and provide feedback to all direct reports. With the assistance of the Assistant Director, train new staff and coordinate ongoing internal and external training for staff. Approve timesheets and leave requests for direct reports. Be available to support the evening shift as needed.
- Coordinate operations to facilitate meeting established goals for wait time, abandonment rate, and follow-up. Ensure policies and procedures are implemented and kept up to date. Recommend goals and objectives for organizational short- and long-term planning purposes. Work closely with AVP and Health Program Officer in addressing challenges, barriers or significant changes to the program.
- Develop and recommend annual budget for approval by Board of Directors. Ensures that operations remain within Board approved budget.
- Ensure that the 211 Database is effective, up to date and representative of the state of Maryland by overseeing the Resource Database team. Oversee Helpline technology to ensure effective service. In tandem with other call centers, manages the routing of calls, as appropriate.
- Administer and ensure compliance with grants and contracts. Ensures appropriate organizational evaluations to maintain standards. Ensures accreditation standards are maintained.
- Provide skilled information and referral services in response to requests for help, primarily by phone, as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
20% Program Development/Change Management
- In collaboration with Health Program Officer and VP of Strategic Initiatives and Compliance, lead the development of and subsequent implementation of a comprehensive multi-year plan to improve efficiency, service deliver and social impact through the integration of innovative technical solutions and the establishment and/or strengthening of partnerships and creating a sustainability plan that maximizes use of resources and identifies long-term public and/or private funding sources.
20% Fundraising Support:
- In collaboration with the Health Program Officer and VP of Strategic Initiatives and Compliance, creating a business/sustainability plan that maximizes use of resources and identifies long-term public and/or private funding sources. Assist in the ongoing identification of funding opportunities, and the development collateral and reports to be used to increase program revenues.
10% Public Education:
- Represent 211 Maryland United Way Helpline in the community, within the nonprofit network and internally with other United Way staff. Develop and implement strategies to increase awareness of 211 to elected officials, public agencies and health and human service providers.
To be successful in this job, the AVP of 211 Maryland United Way Helpline must consistently demonstrate competency in:
- Staff coaching, training, and development
- Information and referral process
- Call center operations
- Strategic thinking and partnership development
- Data collection and analysis
- Performance metric management
- Public presentation
Interface with 211 Maryland United Way Helpline staff, volunteers and clients, United Way staff, nonprofit community, and public audiences.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Bachelor’s degree in social work, human services administration, or related field with 5 years progressively responsible experience in human services management. Previous experience in information and referral preferred. Knowledge of human service delivery systems in Maryland. Computer literacy.
Master’s degree preferred. LMSW or higher licensure preferred.
- Leadership —ability to supervise and develop staff.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Administrative, project and budget management skills.
- Communications, collaboration, and partnership development skills.
- Persuasive and informative presentation development and delivery.
- Critical, strategic, and innovative thinking skills.
- Knowledge of related health and human services delivery.
- Understanding of challenges facing individuals and families living in poverty.
- Computer literacy including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by employee to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the position successfully. Requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The employee is primarily seated while performing duties of the position. Walking or standing and interaction with personnel located in other parts of the building are also necessary.
The hands are regularly used to write, type, keypunch and handle or feel small controls and objects. The employee must frequently talk and listen. Weights of up to 25 pounds may need to be handled (i.e. heavy files, computer reports, computer terminals or other regularly utilized office equipment).
In addition to staff orientation, must include orientation to 211 Maryland procedures, protocols and training .
BECOME A PART OF SOMETHING BIGGER
Get the latest info on how you can join us to improve the lives of our neighbors —and the neighborhoods they call home.
What Browser Am I Using?
You are currently using…
This browser will no longer be supported by Microsoft.
Try a different browser
We support any of these free, and easy to install, browsers.