GIVE TO UNITED WAY
Your gift keeps Marylanders in homes, helps kids in school, and provides access to healthy food and jobs that pay the bills.
Community Resource Specialist, Poppleton
POSITION SUMMARY STATEMENT
The Poppleton Neighborhood Community Resource Specialist will work closely with United Way's partners: The University of Maryland, Baltimore Community Engagement Center. The Community Resource Specialist will serve communities in West and Southwest Baltimore providing resource brokerage, short-term case management, and crisis intervention as needed. The purpose of the 211 staff is to empower and/or assist residents in becoming self-sufficient through support and resource connection.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
include, but are not limited to:
- Assess client situations and aid in problem solving through primary, secondary, and tertiary resources.
- Provide direct client assistance such as applying for benefits, filling out applications, and offering advocacy as necessary based on individual client need.
- Provide short-term case management through short-term goal setting necessary (parameters around 3-5 sessions). To know when this service is not intensive enough for an individual and be able to connect the client to longer-term care options.
- When it is safe to do so, attend outreach and community events to spread the word and foster trust within the community.
- Provide consultation and support to staff.
- The long-term plan for this 211 staff person provides services in several locations on a rotating basis. These locations will be determined by community need and reassess often to ensure the best use of time (initial recommendations: Community Engagement Center, local barbershop, housing office, library). The hours will reflect the needs/availability of community members.
- This position is part-time, in-person, community-based service delivery
- Establishes and maintains supportive, professional relationships with UWCM staff and volunteers; effectively represents UWCM in the community; develops contacts in the community with civic organizations, non-profit and government agencies
- Maintains connections and network within the community to form and maintain effective partnerships in the community.
- Experience in identifying, developing, and cultivating resources for programs.
- Maintains excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to work as part of a team
- Presents a professional and positive image as a representative of UWCM at external events
- Experience working on a diverse team and with diverse constituencies
- Displays cultural competence and has knowledge of needs in Baltimore City
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced and complex work environment.
- Is enthusiastic and has a positive attitude toward helping others
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- BA in social work, counseling or other human services field with 2+ years' experience. Could be substituted with AA and 6+ years' experience
- Preferred experience includes home visits or PRP work.
- Strong case management skills
- Crisis intervention skills
- Flexible and ability to work remotely with little supervision
- Access to reliable transportation
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successful perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regular walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to writer, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The employee must frequently talk and hear. Weights of up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted. There is extensive use of a computer. Employee is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position.
BECOME A PART OF SOMETHING BIGGER
Get the latest info on how you can join us to improve the lives of our neighbors —and the neighborhoods they call home.
What Browser Am I Using?
You are currently using…
This browser will no longer be supported by Microsoft.
Try a different browser
We support any of these free, and easy to install, browsers.