GIVE TO UNITED WAY
Your gift keeps Marylanders in homes, helps kids in school, and provides access to healthy food and jobs that pay the bills.
Director, Major Gifts
MAJOR GIFTS PROFILE:
Major Gifts, (individual gifts $1,000 and above) has been the driving force behind the new dollars and growth in the United Way of Central Maryland campaign, representing 55% of the private sector dollars raised. Currently, there are over 530 Tocqueville Society members (gifts of $10,000 or more) collectively raising more than $7 million.
POSITION SUMMARY STATEMENT:
Responsible for managing, cultivating and retaining relationships with existing Tocqueville Society donors as well as identifying new prospects to join. Work closely with relationship managers to maximize workplace connections to further cultivate major donors and prospects. Responsible for increasing retention rates, growing revenue and increasing revenue under management (RUM/undesignated gifts) from our existing Tocqueville membership.
We are seeking an experienced, passionate, strategic and creative leader to support donor engagement, communication and stewardship. This position will be responsible for building and maintaining superior donor relationships, provide outstanding customer service and meet measurable revenue goals.
As a member of the major gift team, the director will:
- Execute the organization’s Major Gifts fundraising strategic activities within the development team and overall UWCM goals.
- Manage existing portfolio of donors and prospects; Implement strategies to increase donor engagement and investment with United Way.
- Help our donors accomplish their philanthropic goals and ambitions by presenting funding opportunities in support of the organization’s overall mission, programs, and other initiatives that may arise.
- Manage systems and software (Community Connect) to track and cultivate donors.
- Utilize wealth screening and other research information to develop strategies and build prospect portfolios.
- Develop strategies and events that engage and steward major donors.
- Make direct, face-to-face solicitations, and assist volunteers and other staff with their solicitation (e.g. provide portfolio development support, strategic counsel, and help with donor communications).
- Track and report progress using specific metrics.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES includes, but are not limited to:
- Build/manage a portfolio of over 100 Tocqueville donors; utilize the comprehensive year-round major gifts retention plan to reach our goal of retaining 90 percent of our current members.
- Identify additional opportunities to engage and communicate with our current donors year-round.
- Schedule on average a minimum of three to five in person visits a week to cultivate relationships to retain membership and support the organizations goals to grow revenue.
- Coordinate donor engagement activities/communication for Tocqueville Society members. In conjunction with Marketing team and volunteer coordinator, set cadence and create foundation for Tocqueville donors’ experiences to learn more about UWCM’s work.
- Identify and secure prospective Tocqueville Society members inside and outside the workplace.
- Manage select workplace campaigns
In order to be successful in this job, the Major Gifts Director must consistently demonstrate:
- Knowledge of the organization and its value to the community and donor
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with many types of work styles
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to give an effective group presentation
- Ability to manage many projects at one time, prioritizing and planning for high efficiency
- A commitment to providing excellent customer service to volunteers and donors
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Analyzing and tracking skills
- Computer skills, including word processing and data management
- Flexibility and ability to manage issues and crisis calmly and effectively
- Ability to represent UWCM in a professional manner
- Manage volunteers effectively and appropriately
- Manage relationships with high level corporate leaders as well as individual donors and volunteers
- Demonstrates leadership, critical thinking and creativity; strong interpersonal skills, customer focus, teamwork and bench strength in managing volunteers
- Excellent strategic thinking and problem-solving skills, with attention to detail and follow through
- Is self-motivated, achievement-oriented and proactive; shows initiative and enthusiasm while demonstrating maturity/uncompromising responsibility, courage and self-confidence
- Has integrity; is committed to ethical conduct & UW’s mission. Caring with sound judgment
- Pursues continuous learning & self-mastery; analyzing strengths/weaknesses & planning for growth
- Is inclusive - networks and partners with a broad and diverse group of stakeholders
INTERACTION: (Internal and external)
- Externally with donors, staff members of profit and not for profit businesses and government agencies, the public, community leaders, educators, elected officials and media representatives
- CEOs, executive teams and volunteers
- Mid-level and senior management from companies and organizations (Campaign Coordinators and Campaign Committees)
- Agency Representatives
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Required: (education, years of experience, special skills, etc.)
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years experience in relationship management and development related fields. Excellent writing and verbal communication. Stellar customer service and follow up.
- Proficiency in computer-based information systems is also required.
- The ideal candidate will enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and flexible environment.
- Note: Position requires a flexible schedule that includes both day & evening work
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume via email to:
United Way of Central Maryland
Attention: Human Resources
1800 Washington Boulevard, Suite 340
Baltimore, MD 21230
BECOME A PART OF SOMETHING BIGGER
Get the latest info on how you can join us to improve the lives of our neighbors —and the neighborhoods they call home.
What Browser Am I Using?
You are currently using…
This browser will no longer be supported by Microsoft.
Try a different browser
We support any of these free, and easy to install, browsers.