GIVE TO UNITED WAY
Your gift keeps Marylanders in homes, helps kids in school, and provides access to healthy food and jobs that pay the bills.
PROJECT/VOLUNTEER MANAGER, 211 MD UNITED WAY HELPLINE
Part-time (25 hours per week), 1-year contract/contingent on renewal
Reports To: Associate Vice President, 211 MD United Way Helpline
POSITION SUMMARY STATEMENT:
United Way of Central Maryland is seeking an experienced project manager to oversee a nationwide grocery worker support initiative. This highly organized and flexible person will have strong program development and management skills, ensuring that program runs smoothly and continues to evolve and grow. The person who fills this position will create/oversee a volunteer program and will manage the application review process with a staff of volunteers and will be responsible for the day-to-day oversight of the program in its entirety. This program is a collaboration between United Way of Central Maryland and United Way Worldwide (UWW).
United Way of Central Maryland promotes equity, creates opportunity, and improves lives. Our 95 years of service to the people of Greater Baltimore have taught us what it takes to change our region for the better. We are proud to be a source of support, compassion, and hope for people who work hard but still cannot make ends meet. We strengthen families and communities by taking on systemic challenges and increasing access to basic needs- health, housing, employment, education, and more.
This position will be part of 2-1-1 Maryland United Way Helpline, which is a readily accessible, 24/7, helpline providing information and referral (I&R) services in over 150 languages. It offers individuals an effective means of navigating the complex health and human service delivery system to find resources such as access to food, housing and other government assistance, that support health and social determinants of health outcomes, for low-income individuals and families. Certified Community Resource Specialists assess callers’ needs and link them to solutions using a comprehensive database of over 5,000 government & nonprofit programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Review all applications as provided by UWW, verifying eligibility criteria are met, and obtain any additional materials or information needed from applicants if application is incomplete
- Select number of applicants to receive funds, once per week, based on amount of total funds available that month, as determined by UWW
- Use vendor system provisioned by UWW and ensure that gift cards are distributed electronically or by mail to selected applicants
- Troubleshoot with vendor if gift cards are not received
- Track and report back to UWW data about applications received, reviewed, and awarded on a monthly basis
- Send email notification to any applicants not selected to receive funds within 30 days of application date
- Monitor and respond to any inquiries from applicants about application status via a designated email address and phone number
- Coordinate operations/process flow to facilitate meeting program goals. Problem-solve as needed to continually improve the program.
- Manage application review process with volunteer reviewers.
- Provide consultation and support to staff and volunteers
- When it is safe to do so, attend outreach and community events to spread the word and foster trust within the community
- Perform other duties as assigned.
50% Volunteer Program Development
- Recruit, train, monitor, recognize and engage to ensure retention of volunteer
- Coach and evaluate volunteer
- Develop and maintain relationships with partners.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position is a 25 hour/week, 1-year contract and may be renewed after year one. There is the possibility that this will become full time as the program grows. Initially, there will be some flexibility to the hours being worked, but that could change depending on the program needs.
- Initially, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this person will work exclusively from home, until it is deemed safe to work in an office setting.
- Establishes and maintains supportive, professional relationships with UWCM staff and volunteers; effectively represents UWCM in the community; develops contacts in the community with civic organizations, non-profit and governmental agencies
- Maintains connections and network within the community to form and maintain effective partnerships in the community
- Experience with project management/oversite.
- Experience in recruiting, training, retaining volunteers
- Experience supervising others/leading a team
- Maintains excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to work as part of a team
- Presents a professional and positive image as a representative of UWCM at external events
- Experience working on a diverse team, and with diverse constituencies.
- Displays cultural competence
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced and complex work environment
- Is enthusiastic and has a positive attitude toward helping others
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- BA preferred with 2+ years’ experience. Could be substituted with AA and 6+ years’ experience.
- Project management
- Preferred experience includes volunteer recruitment/retention
- Flexible and able to work remotely with little supervision.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regular walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The employee must frequently talk and hear. Weights of up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted. There is extensive use of a computer. Employee is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume via email to:
United Way of Central Maryland
Attention: Human Resources
1800 Washington Boulevard, Suite 340
Baltimore, MD 21230
BECOME A PART OF SOMETHING BIGGER
Get the latest info on how you can join us to improve the lives of our neighbors —and the neighborhoods they call home.
What Browser Am I Using?
You are currently using…
This browser will no longer be supported by Microsoft.
Try a different browser
We support any of these free, and easy to install, browsers.