GIVE TO UNITED WAY
Your gift keeps Marylanders in homes, helps kids in school, and provides access to healthy food and jobs that pay the bills.
The Staff Accountant will be responsible for the financial component of grants and their related accounting functions. This position will work closely with the pre and post grant awards, to include, budget preparation, reconciliations, invoicing, expense analysis, grant close-out and grants record maintenance. The Staff Accountant will work closely with the Impact Strategy team, assisting in the overall management of sub-grantee awards, to ensure accuracy, accountability, conformity with requirements and participate in sub-grantee monitoring visits. This position will also assist with the daily operations of the finance department, preparing general ledger reconciliations, budget analysis, journey entries, month-end and year-end close schedules and other fiscal related tasks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
60% Grant Accounting and Reporting
- Prepare accurate and timely financial and expenditure reports for grantors.
- Assists with preparing and formatting grant budgets and budget justifications.
- Develop monthly schedules and reports to track grant revenues and expenditures.
- Audit sub-grantee’s reimbursement requests.
- Prepare the required documents for grant billings to include check requests, invoices, general ledger reports and other required documentation.
- Review notice of grant awards and log reporting requirements.
- Maintain a complete and organized filing system for grant agreements and reports.
- Provide technical grant support to program staff.
- Attend sub-grantee fiscal monitoring visits as assigned.
- Acts as grantor liaison to resolve any reporting infractions and compliance issues.
- Review monthly grant expenditure reports discrepancies, variances and unusual expenditures.
- Complete appropriate budget forms and submit budgets and budget modification request to funding sources.
- Attend grantor’s audit meetings and follow-up when necessary.
- Develops positive working relationship to foster a collaborative environment for grant coordination and oversight.
- Keep abreast on grant provisions, conditions, requirements, and restrictions.
- Perform grant year-end revenue and expense reconciliations.
35% General Ledger and Financial Reporting
- Prepare comprehensive general ledger reconciliations for income and balance sheet accounts.
- Work with the A/P Specialist to ensure accurate disbursements to all sub-grantees.
- Prepare assigned reconciliations for the month-end and year-end close process.
- Analyze and correct general ledger transactions with appropriate journal entries.
- Perform ad-hoc financial analysis in response to requests or to provide support to other financial staff.
- Prepare annual audit schedules, reports and other general ledger analysis required by auditors.
- Assists in the preparation of monthly financial statements.
- Ensure accounting records are GAAP compliance.
- Assists with the day-to-day general ledger reconciliations and resolve discrepancies.
- Answer accounting and financial questions through research and interpreting electronic accounting data.
- Organize and maintain financial records.
- Prepare accurate and timely financial reports for staff members and donors.
- Other related duties as assigned.
5% Customer Services
- Establishes and maintain effective communication with all levels of agency personnel, partner agencies, sub-grantees, vendors, clients, and volunteers.
- Protect the organization’s data by safe keeping confidential information.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- BS Degree in accounting or closely related field.
- A minimum of 3 years hand on accounting experience, preferably in a non-profit organization.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience using MS Office software applications with intermediate skills using Microsoft Excel.
- Strong analytical, presentation, written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to interpret governmental regulations and compliance requirements.
- Financial reporting experience.
- Familiarity with accounting fundamentals.
- Possess excellent organizational and time management skills to efficiently prioritize work and meet challenging deadlines.
- Outstanding customer service and follow-though skills.
- Must be detail oriented and able to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to effectively communicate financial information to non-financial personnel.
- Experience in developing program budgets and budget narratives.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The employee must frequently talk, hear, and lift/move up to 25 pounds. There is extensive use of a computer. Employee is primarily seated while performing the duties of this position.
Interested candidates should send their resume along with your salary requirements to email@example.com. No phone calls, please!
BECOME A PART OF SOMETHING BIGGER
Get the latest info on how you can join us to improve the lives of our neighbors —and the neighborhoods they call home.
What Browser Am I Using?
You are currently using…
This browser will no longer be supported by Microsoft.
Try a different browser
We support any of these free, and easy to install, browsers.