Website Users, App Users, and Donors
United Way of Central Maryland (“UWCM,” “we” or “us”) respects your privacy. UWCM collects information from users of our website (“Website”) and apps (“Apps”), and from donors and potential donors. This policy describes:
- The types of information we may collect or that you may provide.
- Our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies only to (1) information we collect from you through our Website or Apps and in other electronic communications sent through or in connection with our Website or Apps, and to (2) information that we collect from and about donors and potential donors, whether through our Website or Apps or through other means.
This policy does not apply to information that:
- Is collected on or by third party websites or applications that you may access via our Website, Apps, or otherwise.
- You provide to or is collected by any third party. These third parties may have their own privacy policies, which we encourage you to read before providing information to them.
- Relates to our directors, officers, staff, consultants, service providers, business-to-business contacts, and volunteers.
Information We Collect and How We Collect It
We may collect information from and about you when you engage with our Website or Apps, or when you are a donor or potential donor:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- From other third parties; for example, our business partners.
- Automatically when you use certain features of our Website or Apps.
Information You Provide to Us
We may ask that you provide personal information:
- By which you may be personally identified, including, without limitation, your name, postal address, email address, telephone number, any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline, state of residence, birth month and year, age, gender, occupation, employer, languages spoken, social media accounts, credit card information and photographs.
- That is about you but individually does not identify you.
This information includes:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms. This includes information provided at the time of registration, information written on any applications, information provided during an interview, and/or information you provide when requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you call our helpline, or contact our donor choice administrator, ePledge support, or main office.
- Information necessary to confirm your identity, authority, or other characteristics, including information for performing a background check.
- Your responses to surveys or questionnaires that we may ask you to complete.
- Details of transactions that you carry out through our Website, Apps or through other means.
- Information that is related to your user profile, including your username, password, password reminder questions and answers, interests, communication preferences, and any correspondence you send to us.
- Optional information you can choose to supply, to enable you to have a personalized experience with our Website or Apps and to enable us to give you the information you desire.
You and others may also provide information to be posted on public areas of the Website or Apps, or transmitted to other users of the Website or Apps or to third parties (collectively, “User Contributions”). We assume no liability for the accuracy of User Contributions, no duty to update or correct such information, and no liability for those communications that may arise under copyright, libel, privacy, obscenity or other laws. Your User Contributions are posted and transmitted to others at your own risk. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users of the Website or Apps with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions.
Automatic Information Collection and Tracking
When you access or use our Website or Apps, we may use technology to automatically collect information, including:
- Usage Details. When you access and use the Website or Apps, we may automatically collect certain details of your access and use of the Website or Apps, including location data, length of time you visit our site, page views, click-stream information, referring URL, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on or through the Website or Apps.
- Device Information. We may collect information about your device and internet connection, including the device’s unique device identifier, IP address, operating system, browser type, and network information.
- Stored Information and Files. The Website or Apps may also access metadata and other information associated with other files stored on your device. This may include, for example, photographs, audio and video clips, personal contacts, and address book information.
If you do not want us to collect this information, do not access or use the Website or Apps.
Information Collection and Tracking Technologies
The technologies we use for automatic information collection on our Website or Apps may include:
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of the Website or Apps may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and on the Website or Apps. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies.
- Web Beacons and Other Technologies. We may use standard internet technology, such as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) and other similar technologies, to track your use of the Website or Apps. The Website or Apps and related communications may contain small electronic files known as web beacons that permit UWCM, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain content and verifying system and server integrity). We also may include web beacons in our e-mail messages or newsletters to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon. The information we may obtain in this manner would enable us to customize the Website and to measure the overall effectiveness of the Website or Apps, our online advertising, content, programming, or other activities.
Third-Party Information Collection
We do not sell to third parties any of the information that we collect from you. When you access or use the Website or Apps, certain third parties may use automatic information collection technologies to collect information about you or your device. These third parties may include:
- Advertisers, ad networks, and ad servers
- Content providers and application providers
- Analytics companies
- Your device manufacturer
- Your mobile service provider
- Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn
Additionally, these third parties may use tracking technologies to collect information about you when you use the Website or Apps. The information they collect may be associated with your personal information or they may collect information, including personal information, about your online activities over time and across different websites, apps, and other online services websites. They may use this information to provide you with interest-based behavioral advertising or other targeted content. We do not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly.
How We Use Your Information
The Website and App usage information and donor’s information we collect helps us to improve the Website and Apps and, to deliver a better and more personalized experience by enabling us to:
- Estimate our usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize the Website and Apps.
- Speed up your searches and help you efficiently access information.
- Recognize you when you use the Website or Apps.
- Help diagnose problems with our servers and to administer the Website and Apps.
- Track entries, submissions and status in any interactive portions of the Website and Apps.
- Monitor the effectiveness of the Website and Apps and aggregate usage and donor metrics.
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information, to:
- Provide you with the Website and Apps, and any other information, products or services that you request from us.
- Provide you with the Website and Apps contents and interactive features.
- Enable you to work, consult, or volunteer for us.
- Implement a fundraising and donor engagement program for you or your company.
- Process your donation.
- Develop donor engagement models and statistics.
- Evaluate your application or registration to receive programs and services from us.
- Give you notices about your account or registration.
- Conduct marketing, advertising, promotional activities, and to provide you with communications, including marketing and solicitation communications, or newsletters.
- Carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- Notify you when updates to our Website or Apps are available and notify you of changes to any services we offer or provide.
- Fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you give us an email address to use an email feature of the Website or Apps.
- For internal purposes, where necessary.
- Comply with applicable laws, our legal obligations, and legal process, such as warrants, subpoenas, court orders, and regulatory or law enforcement requests.
- Conduct data analysis, audits, and fraud monitoring and prevention.
- Protect and defend our legal rights and interests and those of third parties.
- Engage in any other purpose with your consent, when such consent is required.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may, from time to time, contract with outside vendors to conduct donor interest and satisfaction research. In addition, such outside vendors may, from time to time, collect certain information about donors and potential donors by automated means. All outside vendors contracting with UWCM will sign a non-disclosure agreement stating that personally identifiable data will not be used for any purpose other than the project commissioned by UWCM.
In addition, we may disclose information that we collect, or you provide:
- To our subsidiaries, affiliates, and agents.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business.
- To your employer, if you are part of our fundraising and donor engagement program, including for the purposes of managing the campaign and completing payroll deduction withholdings.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of UWCM’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by UWCM is among the assets transferred.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate in connection with efforts to investigate, prevent, report or take other action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud or other wrongdoing; to protect or defend the rights, property, or safety of UWCM or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- To persons appearing to have a lawful interest in the personal information (for example, to an insurance company processing an insurance claim involving you).
- To report suspicion of elder abuse or neglect or child abuse or neglect.
- To persons disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- To other persons with your consent, if such consent is required.
Your Choices About Our Automatic Collection of Information and Our Use of Information for Communications and Promotions
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the information you provide to us. This section describes mechanisms we provide for you to control certain uses and disclosures of your information.
- When you sign up or contact us through the Website or Apps, you may be set up to receive email messages, unless you indicate that you do not wish to receive emails. At any time, you can choose to no longer receive such emails by following the instructions found in the emails, or by submitting a request using the customer support portal on our website, www.CustomerSupport-uwcm.org.
- Promotional Offers. If you do not wish to have your contact information used by UWCM to promote our programs or services, you can opt-out by sending us a letter or an email stating your request.
Accessing and Correcting Your Personal Information
You may call, email, or otherwise contact us to request access to, correct, or delete personal information that you have provided to us using the contact information provided below. In some instances, we cannot delete your personal information except by also deleting your user account or terminating any services you are currently engaged in or receive from UWCM. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
If you delete your User Contributions from the Website or Apps, copies of your User Contributions may remain viewable in cached and archived pages or might have been copied or stored by other Website or App users. Additionally, as the provider of the Website and Apps, we reserve the right to discontinue, for any reason or no reason and without notice to you: (a) the Website and Apps, in whole or in part, (b) any features or services offered through the Website and Apps; and (c) your account with any part of our Website and Apps. Following any termination of your account or access rights, you will not be permitted to access or use the Website or Apps. If your access to or use of the Website or Apps is terminated, we may use whatever means we deem necessary to prevent unauthorized access to the Website or Apps.
Collection of Information from and about Children
We do not knowingly collect information from those under 18 years of age, except with verifiable parental consent. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 18 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. Additionally, the Website and Apps are intended for use by adults only, so please do not use the Website and Apps if you are not yet 18.
Using the Website from Outside the United States
This policy is intended to cover collection of information from residents of the United States. If you are outside the United States, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States. Although we seek to take reasonable steps to ensure that your privacy is protected, the data protection and other laws of the United States and other countries might not be as comprehensive as those in your country.
We have implemented technical and organizational security measures to protect your personal information. Despite this, we cannot guarantee that your personal information will never be disclosed in ways not otherwise described in this policy. For example, the security of the transmission of information via the Internet cannot always be guaranteed and you acknowledge this in your access and use of our Websites and Apps. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. You acknowledge that we, and our consultants and contractors, implement commercially reasonable precautions and are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of your account has been compromised), please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contact Information” section below.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. We also urge Website and App users to be careful about giving out information in public areas of the Website and Apps.
Last revised 9/15/2020
United Way of Central Maryland Solicitations and Voluntary Giving Policy
The most responsive contributors are those who have the opportunity to become informed and involved. We therefore promote voluntary giving in dealing with donors, employees, volunteers and vendors.
We will respect the rights of donors to:
- Be informed of UWCM’s mission, how resources will be used and that donations are used effectively for their intended purposes.
- Be informed of the identity of those serving on the Board of Directors and expect that the Board will exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- Have access to UWCM’s most recent financial reports.
- Receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- Be assured that information about their gifts is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- Expect that all relationships with individuals employed by UWCM to the donor will be professional in nature.
- Have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from distribution lists.
- Feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt and truthful answers.
Donors with concerns should contact our Donor Helpline: 410-895-1566 or by using the customer support portal www.CustomerSupport-uwcm.org.
UWCM believes that employment should not be disturbed or disrupted in the performance of its employees’ job duties. For this reason, solicitation of any kind by one employee of another employee is prohibited while either person is on working time. Working time includes the time during which any of the employees involved are actually expected to perform work tasks, but does not include scheduled rest periods, meal breaks and other specified times when employees are not expected to be working. Solicitation by non-employees on UWCM premises is prohibited at all times.
Distribution of advertising materials, handbills, or printed or written literature of any kind during working time or in working areas of UWCM is prohibited at all times. Distribution of literature by non-employees on UWCM premises is prohibited at all times.